Saturday, August 25, 2007

More sketches

I've found that putting something into repeat has now become second nature. It's the content that has me stumped. There are so many possibilities. Look around, everything can be turned into a pattern if you really think about it. It might sound crazy, but sometimes I get frozen and just overwhelmed with all the choices. AHHH. So the plan is focus. Think about the things I really like and do sketches. Lots of sketches. Just about every day lately. A bit while Jack's at soccer practise, a bit in the library when I have a half hour to myself. As per usual my focus has been mainly on the Art Nouveau style.

Here's the strike-off of a new colourway on linen. I have to approve this before all the printing starts. I'm so used to printing red, olive and chocolate that I get nervous about trying something new. I thought mustard would be a safe option. But I'm still not sure. It changes in different light, sometimes yellow, sometimes greener or even gold. I wish I lived closer to these gals. I could pester them about it.
edit: as I mentioned the mustard changes colour in different light and unfortunately 'new born baby poo' seemed to be the colour it resembled for most of the day! I think a little tweeking of this colour is in order. So for this batch of linen I'm going back to the safety zone of red. And will work on getting the mustard the right shade on my next batch.

12 comments:

Cathy said...

I just love the Art Nouveau style, and your sketches are just lovely. So is the new colourway on the linen. I think you girls that design all this fabric are so talented.

If it helps at all, I like the yellow, and would use it.

macati said...

your notebook is being an object of envy... I'm the one who is envying!!! so beautiful!
:)
manela

dutchcomfort said...

I love the mustard/yellow/green/gold colour and your sketches. I picked up sketching again (poppies also) and it’s so much fun to do!

Jade said...

I'm liking the mustard and the fact that it can look like all those other colours will provide more options for colour matching with other fabrics, don't you think?

Jennifer said...

The yellow is great. I like that it is subtle.

Anonymous said...

Oh to be able to draw. I'm in aw.
Love all the pics even if they are just sketches.
Love the mustard very versitle.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the peek into your beautiful sketchbook. I like the ladybugs.

Go with the mustard--it's nice.

Anonymous said...

its bute, trust yourself. im up for 2 lots when they come back from the printer

Anonymous said...

Hey maybe we should have monthly skype-esque type meetings??? and we can flash up all our WIPS??!!

Unknown said...

I love seeing your drawings.
The mustard thing doesn't do it for me, but might have something to do with going to Uni for 3 years and staring at mustard walls!

molly | mommycoddle.com said...

i can always provide consult on newborn baby poo colors...if needed.

i love the new sketches--the poppies and ladybugs?? anxiously waiting to see what comes next from you.

nikkishell said...

I like the mustard!